Friday 29 October 2010

Power Snooker: The Preview

The journey of Power Snooker begins this Saturday at the Indigo O2, and already its under massive pressure to answer the questions that loom large above it.

If the purists have their way, this new journey will begin at the weekend, and end the same day, such is the strength of opposition to the concept of power snooker among many fans.

'Don't mend what's not broken' is the view of most.

I like many other fans love the slow burning tension snooker provides. And in fairness, what the sport lacked at the start of the season was the number of events. This has been partly fixed by the introduction of the new PTC series. While snooker had its shortcoming before the arrival of Barry Hearn, the tradition of the game was never in question. Yet Power Snooker seems to be tinkering with the usual format of the game, when in fact this was never the problem. That is what probably what fuels the opposition.

And this is what leads me to believe that Power Snooker is more about dragging new fans towards the sport, rather than wowing the current crop.

But as long as the game isn't tinkered with at the majors, I've got no problems whatsoever with trying something new.

I've followed snooker for many years. I love everything about it. But that didn't stop me logging on to buy tickets for this new phenomenon. Not because I craved more from the sport, but more out of curiosity I guess.

It's been well documented that the new rules may be difficult to follow, but doesn't every sport or new game start out this way. Power Snooker has one day to impress me. I know deep down I'll always prefer the traditional format of the game, but what is more appealing to me is to see snooker in the headlines.

Just seeing the sport being talked about gives me great satisfaction, because many years ago it was an even bigger sport than football. Now, it's not on the same scale, but any publicity will be welcomed. Any chance to see snooker back in the public eye like it once was should surely be classed a success. Power Snooker has the ability to do this, even if for just one day.

I won't be in the crowd to watch the future of the game unfold. I'll be there for entertainment value only. Even if not entirely endorsed, I'm excited to see snooker in a completely different light. It may be a success, it may flop. But whatever, it certainly will be interesting.

I have a feeling that part of Power Snooker's creation is to satisfy Ronnie and his clear need for something more from the game. Because of this, Saturday may be the day we see The Rocket produce like he hasn't for many years. I wouldn't miss that treat for the world. So, for that reason alone, it could be a day worth savouring.

Ronnie I'm sure will revel out of the fact of being centre stage, where natural ability over any real tactical prowess will be rewarded. But Ronnie will be under pressure as well. He's put so much faith and weight behind Power Snooker being a success, that he's almost having his understanding of the game put to the test.

He's be red-hot favourite to lift the trophy, so he'll be playing with a pressure he hasn't had for many seasons, where he has something to prove. It'll be interesting to see how he responds to that.

For all these reasons, I'm looking forward to Power Snooker. Bring it on...

No comments:

Post a Comment