Tuesday 23 November 2010

Michael Holt: EXCLUSIVE interview

Michael Holt may be a journeyman of the professional circuit, but in Prague he sent out a timely reminder of just how much ability he has, by capturing the EPTC6 title.

Despite a poor start to the season, this win sees him sneak into the grand finals and beginning this week's UK Championship qualifiers full of confidence.

He spoke exclusively to OnCue about what it meant to win his first ranking title, and his hopes for the rest of the season.

Sum up how it felt to finally land your first ranking title?

I was delighted. I've known for a long time I was good enough to win titles. I've been telling people for years. I knew I had it in me, but after a while I stooped saying it. This win shows I wasn't lying. 

You've not had the best start to the season, but this win has taken you into the PTC grand finals qualifying spaces and picked you up some vital ranking points. You must be delighted... 

Yeah it's absolutely mad. I arrived in Prague knowing I had to win it to qualify. No-one expected me to because I've not had the best start to the season, so it was a great feeling. I've dropped from 24th in the rankings down into the 40s. I've been having a nightmare, so the points should help me start climbing back up. 

A lot has been made of your poor start to the season. How do you explain it?

The funny thing is, I haven't been playing that bad. I've just been getting beat. Outside of the ranking events, I got to the final in Pontins and I won the Pink Ribbon tournament before the start of the season, so I've played some really good stuff. It's shocked me how bad I've done, but I've had some really tough draws. My matches have been like the 'who's who' of the top snooker professionals. I was playing against players I don't expect to beat quite early in competitions. Even though I was losing games, I still felt confident. It's just been more frustrating than anything. It's been hard but I had to keep the faith. 

You didn't exactly win the EPTC6 the easy way though beating John Higgins, Shaun Murphy, Mark Selby and Stephen Maguire. Did that make it extra special?

I must have had the worst draw ever in Prague. To win it the way I did, I couldn't be happier. I played some good stuff but if you'd seen it in a film, you'd probably have said 'yeah good one'. I wish I got bottle up my performance this weekend and save it for every tournament. 

What changed then?

I didn't do anything massively different. My dad has recently had a stroke, so I've been backwards and forwards to the hospital, so if anything, I practiced less. I went out a couple of times and had a few drinks. But, I think the main thing, was taking that pressure off myself. I thought 'sod it', went out there and played well. I grew in confidence and ended up winning the thing. 

You've always been a popular player. What was all the praise like?

I felt a little bit humbled by the amount players congratulating me to be honest. Mark Williams and Peter Ebdon both called me to say 'well done' and John Higgins came out of his way to congratulate me at the end as well. Lots of people were buying drinks, so I got drunk through no fault of my own.  Lots of fans have sent kind messages. I suppose because I've never really made any enemies, everyone is happy to see me win. 

What have you made of the PTC series as a whole then?

There's probably still a little room for improvement but overall it's been great. It's only the first season, so there's bound to be teething problems but you've got to remember the schedule was thrown together. Some of the venues need some work but I turned a pro to play lots of snooker, and I am now. Last season, I only played in six ranking events. This year, it could be as many as 20. I don't see how anyone can complain about that. 

I suppose you're looking forward to the grand finals in Ireland as well...

Yeah of course. I think it's good for Ireland to get back on the circuit as well. They've got some great snooker fans there. There's some big names in the hat, so it will be a good weekend. I've seen the tournament falls on the same weekend as St Patrick's Day though, so I'll probably have to lock myself in my room to keep away from the Guinness. A lot of my mates will be coming to watch, and there's good prize money, so I'm pleased. 

Looking ahead now, what are your aspirations for the season?

Just like every season, I want to win things. I've won a ranking event now and I want more. I look at my career and I class it as one of underachievement. I really think with the ability I've got I couldn't have done any worse. I've slipped out of the top 32 and that's bad news. As a kid, I was a winner. I know I'm better. In the major events, I've never been past the quarter-finals. I want to get to the business end of tournaments. I've not fulfilled my capabilities. 

What has kept you going then?

I know I can play. I don't enjoy being a journeyman. I know I'm not a world beater but I'm good enough to be doing well at events and winning some of them. I probably only have myself to blame because I've taken the mickey out of the game for some years. Maybe, I've been paying for that. But I've been putting more in over the last few seasons, so hopefully I'll start getting something back. 

Your UK Championship campaign kicks off this week. How are you feeling about that?

I've got to win two qualifying games to get there, so that's not idea' but I'm confident. I've had quite a good record throughout my career of qualifying for events. I prefer the longer matches as you can really get into them. I love playing at the UK. It was the first venue I made, so it's always had a special feel. I hope I make it to Telford.

No comments:

Post a Comment