Tuesday 14 December 2010

Mark Joyce: EXCLUSIVE interview

Mike Joyce was without doubt the fairytale story of this year's UK Championship.

The world number 60 came through four qualifying matches, before beating Ali Carter and Judd Trump to make it to the quarter-finals, where he narrowly lost out to eventual runner-up Mark Williams.

This great run has elevated him up to 47 in the world rankings. It's the first time he's broken into the top 48, which crucially cuts down his route to future tournaments, with less qualifying matches to play.

OnCue caught up with the man of the moment in an exclusive interview. Here's his views on a number of topics...

On qualifying for the UK Championship...

It's been well publicised that I won four matches to make it to Telford, and that meant I spent a lengthy eight days up at the Sheffield Academy. Looking back, I can honestly say they were all tough matches.

First, I played Jak Jones. He's a good young player, but I probably made that game harder than it should have been. I was 5-1 up after the first six frames, but he got back to 5-3 by the end of the session, which made it tight. Next, I played Alfie Burden. This was probably the best quality match of the four. There must have been a 50+ break in almost every frame, and at the end, Alfie said that's the best he's played all season, and he's had some good wins in the PTC series as well.

In the third match, I had Marcus Campbell. He's having a fantastic season, and even won a PTC event earlier this year. It was a late night game and I managed to win it  9-8 from 8-5 down.

My final match was the most high profile, against Steve Davis. I remember playing him back in Aberdeen in the qualifiers for the Grand Prix in 2007. That day, I played Steve Davis rather than the balls in front of me. I learned my lesson, accepted it was going to be a scrappy game, and beat him 9-2. He's a snooker legend, so it was a great win and I was delighted to be going to Telford and making my third TV appearance. Real snooker fans know how tough the qualifiers, so it was a great achievement.

On beating Ali Carter...

Ali didn't play as well as he can do, but it helped that I was match sharp from qualifying, and he was a little colder. I felt good going into the game, but I wasn't sure whether we'd be on the televised table. When I found out we were, I'd say it made Ali a stronger favourite. I would have fancied myself more in the cubicles, but I got a good start, and then he was always playing catch up. I'd say Ali's positional play let him down. He seemed to be getting in and breaking down. Nonetheless, it was a great result.

On beating Judd Trump...

I played a lot better against Judd in the second round. We were back in the cubicles, and I'm probably more comfortable round there. It's where I've played most of my snooker throughout my career.

Once I beat Ali, I couldn't predict whether I'd be playing Judd or Jamie Cope, but obviously they're quite similar attacking players,  so I knew it would be tough.  I established a 5-2  lead, but he managed to win the last tight frame in the session. This gave him a bit of confidence, because he came out all guns blazing in the evening and got back to 5-5. I was happy to reach the mid-session at 6-6 if I'm honest. I sat down with my coach, and knew I had to find two or three extra gears, or I'd be going home. I got my form back and I was over the moon to win the match, but the break came at the perfect time for me. That was the key 

On playing Mark Williams in the quarter-final...

A lot was being made of Mark's bad form, but he's still a class act. I really felt I should have won this match. After the game, I bumped into Willie Thorne as he was coming out of the commentary box. He said I was ahead of Mark on every stat, except the frame count. I was gutted.

I don't know how I was ever 4-0 down but I got straight back to 4-4 by the end of the first session, but I really felt I deserved to be leading. In the end, I just couldn't get in front of him. Everytime I got close, he pulled out a pressure break or a good pot. I could see why he's such a top player.

I made the tournament high break of 143 in this match, so although it was disappointing to lose, I was pleased with my performance.

On missing a local league match to play Williams...

I do play in my local West Midlands League. It's probably the strongest local league in the country, with a lot of centuries, but I do it for enjoyment. It's a bit of fun, and a good chance to have a night out with my friends. I did miss a match but the press made a bigger issue of it than it actually was. 

On the whole experience...

The support I received was fantastic. So many people have been adding me as friends on Facebook, and the words of encouragement were excellent. I only live about 20 minutes away from Telford, so I had a lot of people coming along to support me too. I've been playing this quality of snooker for a while now, but to get the chance to show it at the second most prestigious event in our sport, was great. I know I'm a good player, but maybe other people didn't, so it's opened a few people's eyes.

My last two games on TV were against Ronnie O'Sullivan and John Higgins. I was a bit like a rabbit under headlights in them. I was a little more relaxed this time. Once I qualified, I told myself just to enjoy it. It seemed to work. When I got beat, it seemed like the end of a really great holiday though. 

On representing Walsall...

I made a joke comment during the competition about my success being good news for Walsall, with the football team struggling at the moment.

It's funny because I'm not actually a Walsall fan either. I follow Manchester United, and I was up at the game on Monday night against Arsenal. I always try to get to Old Trafford when I can.

But honestly, it's great to be successful for the people at my club, who give me lots of support, and people who live in Walsall. I've already had the local newspaper down interviewing me and it's nice to be repaying a lot of people who showed faith in me. I'm quite down to earth, so maybe the great support came as a result of that. 

On his future hopes...

I'm into the top 48 rankings for the first time in my career.

I want to have a couple more decent runs now this season, and push towards the top 32. The way I'm feeling, I think I've got a good chance.

I've got to be a little bit wary though. Peter Lines got to the UK quarter-finals last year, and then ended up not winning another match that season. I've got to keep working hard. Playing at a venue, is a special feeling. It's made me more hungry to have that experience more often. I know how it must feel for the big boys to be in the business end of tournaments. I want that all the time now.

1 comment:

  1. Good read that. Has every chance of moving up the rankings too as he has very little left to defend from 2008/9.

    ReplyDelete