Monday 4 July 2011

In the hotseat: PTC1 stars Eden Sharav and Robbie Williams

The PTC series remains a wonderful platform for amateur players to make a name for themselves and test their game against the very best.

Two of the success stories from the PTC1 event were Eden Sharav (ES) and Robbie Williams (RW), who both made it to the last 16.

That has fuelled their hunger to make it on to the professional circuit next season, and given them a good foundation of ranking points to help themqualify through the PTC Order of Merit.

OnCue caught up with them to find out more about them and their fairytale story in Sheffield...


You made plenty of waves in the last PTC. Describe the experience in your own words...

ES: I thought I had a great run in the last PTC comeptition with some memorable wins against professionals Adam Duffy and Liang Wenbo. I was starting to hit a bit of form but unfortunately I felt ill before my last 16 match with Marcus Campbell, and went on to lose 4-0.

RW: The PTC1 was a great start to the season for me. Beating Peter Ebdon and Ali Carter was a real boost for my confidence, as leading up to the tournament, I wasn't cueing particularly great.

It was even better because I felt I could have easily lost in the qualifier against Sam Harvey. Neither of us played as well as we can do and I was lucky to scrape through 4-3.

Did you play in any of the PTCs last season. If so, how did you get on?

ES:  I didnt play in any PTCs last season. I was still looking for a sponsor at that time.

RW: I played in 9 PTCs last season. Seven in the UK and two abroad. I didn't do as well as I would have hoped. Let's just leave it there!

Are you going to be in any more PTCs this season and what are you hopes for it now?

ES: I will be playing in another eight events this season. Now that I've had a good run in one, I know I can do it and realistically hope to finish strong enough to earn a professional tour place through them

RW: This season, I'll be entering all of them. Especially now Big Bazza has introduced tour cards up for grabs for amateurs as well as the professionals outside the top 64. A lot can happen over a season but I'm glad I've got off to a good start.

For people who don't know much about you, tell them a little bit more...

ES: I'm British. I'm 19, stared playing pool for few years and tried snooker when I was about 11. I fell in love with it.

This season, I'm playing in the Scottish amateurs and few other prize money competitions. I'm going to Prestatyn in September to will be playing in the home international. Also, if I don't get a pro tour place in time, I will be playing in Q school.

RW: I'm 24 from Wallasey, on the Wirral. I started playing when I was seven or eight when my mum and dad bought me a six-foot table for Christmas. Now, I'm very lucky to have a full-sized table in my house and I'm dedicated to making it professional.

What are your strengths?

ES: I think I'm strong at long potting, break-building and safety play. I'm happy with my game in most areas.

RW: My main strength is probably my mentality under pressure.

What are you weaknesses?

ES: I don't always play the correct shot. My shot selection needs to improve.

RW: Inconsistency has certainly been my main weakness over the past few years, but hopefully I can change that this season.

Which professional player do you most play like and why?

ES: I think I play a bit like Stephen Maguire because I'm fluent and a good potter.

RW: I'm not sure which professional player I most play like. I don't really base my technique or shot selection on anyone. I just like to play my own game.

Who is your favourite professional player and why?

ES: My favourite professional is Mark Selby. I love the way he plays. He's solid and always plays the game right.

I grew admiring the likes of Ronnie O'sullivan and John Higgins. For me, they are two of the best players to ever play snooker.

RW: My favourite player has always been Stephen Hendry. He's the ultimate professional. At his peak, no-one came close to matching his break-building ability or his desire to win, even on the brink of defeat. You only have to look at the amount of titles he's won to see just how good he really was.

My other favourite player is Adam Wicheard because his hair is incredible! It's silky smooth! I just don't know how he does it!

What is your proudest snooker moment?

ES: My proudest moment is probably getting to the last 16 of the PTC1 and also winning the Pontins Star of the Future 2011.

RW: My proudest moment in snooker so far is probably winning the English Open last year. It's a good one to win with because professionals play in at as well. That week was the best I'd played in a while.

What is your biggest snooker disappointment?

ES: Losing in the quarter-finals of the European under-21 Championship to Kacper Filipiak 5-4 from 3-0 up in 2011.

RW: Losing in the final of the play-offs for a professional ticket last year. I lost 6-4 to Kuldesh Johal and to be so close to a place on the main tour but lose out was hard to take.

Where do you see yourself in five years’ time?

ES: I hope to see myself in the top 32 in the world.

RW: Hopefully an established top 16 player, but who knows.

If you didn’t play snooker, what would you be doing?

ES: I'm not sure because I couldn't see myself doing anything but snooker. If I didn't make it at snooker I would maybe drive trucks.

RW: I used to play tennis when I was younger, so maybe I would have been a tennis professional or certainly something to do with sport. I just love competing.

No comments:

Post a Comment