Monday 31 January 2011

Shoot-Out: The people's verdict

Love it or hate? Everyone has an opinion on the Shoot-Out hosted at Blackpool last weekend.

Rather than listen to me witter on about how good or bad I thought it was, it's time to give everyone else the voice.

After an hour or so scouring the web, here are some of the stand-out views to read...





"It's been a fantastic weekend. There's been great crowds in. All the players have enjoyed. It's been a fantastic event. I came to see how far I can go. Anybody can win it, as you've seen. I knew I was hitting the ball fairly well and felt okay in myself. It suited me down to the ground."

Shoot-Out champion Nigel Bond

 "I’ve enjoyed the Shoot-Out on the whole but the one thing I hope is that there isn’t a knee jerk reaction from people within the game – particularly players – that this format should be flogged to death or even introduced for ranking events."

Dave Hendon, Snooker Scene

“I think the whole thing has been brilliant. The format has been fast and ­furious and all unnecessary slow play has been removed.There is still room for a good safety shot, though, and matches have been won this weekend with just that. Looking to the future, I think this event has shown that you could introduce a ­shot-clock in all events, including the ­Crucible World Championship."

Jimmy White

"This format has been really fun, and it has great potential if they take it seriously like 20/20 in cricket. It is no good using it for cheap gimmicks (like 1 frame shoot outs) ALL THE TIME, there has to be a reasoning behind it. Obviously this format should be used in both exhibitions like Blackpool but also serious events. "

BBC 606 forum poster Almasy

"This event as a concept is never going to replace snooker in ranking events, but is perfect for bringing a lot of relatively unknown players into the limelight and is also excellent for these players to earn some considerable income."


CueSportTV Blog

"This old man is usually very sceptical of gimmick events but I can honestly say I have hardly missed a game watching this and find it not only great fun and very entertaining, but something that is giving spectators a chance to see all of the top 64 in action and also providing value for money entertainment."

TSF forum poster Franksandellsnooker 

"Terrible, just terrible. The good: Sky Sports is broadcasting "snooker" again. The bad: EVERYTHING else."

TSF forum poster Joao

1 comment:

  1. Its a breath of fresh air. I totally dislike the power snooker, but this format is brilliant. I normally do visit main events like the UK and WC in Sheffield. This one as an extra is nice, as i agree with the other comment you get all 64 players to watch. I have been more glued at the screen than some previous tournaments who were very poor, esp the last Masters edition.

    ReplyDelete