Friday 7 January 2011

Williams joins Selby in Championship League super group

It's lovely having bags of time off work over the festive and New Year period.

But on Wednesday, when I went back into the office, I certainly started paying for it. This week has been completely manic.

A story list of over 30 stories to contend with as well as trips to Wales and Wolverhampton in the opening three days is all part and parcel of being a journalist though I suppose. Well, that's what I studied so many years for. It's difficult for me to complain. But the truth is, I really enjoy it.

The only downside is that I've fallen a little bit behind on the snooker front. But mark my words, when the Masters begin this Sunday, I'll be paying a lot more attention.

This week though, I've missed out on Mark Williams becoming the second player to progress to the Championship League.

After finishing second in Group One, the Welshman went all the way this time, coming out Group Two champion with an impressive 3-2 win over Ronnie O'Sullivan in the final.

He only scored one century compared to Ronnie's two in the final, but winning the close-fought frames proved the difference.


Williams now adds his name into the hat for the Premier League.

He said: "I played quite well with a few good breaks but the last two groups have been as tough as you can get in snooker.

"In the final I hit a 138 from nowhere and he made two centuries from nowhere. It's excellent match practise and if you win it you get into the Premier League, one of the events everyone wants to get in.

"I'm delighted to have won and would much rather get through than have to come back for another group.

"I loved every minute of being in the Premier League last year and unfortunately I missed out on the semi-finals by one frame so I would love to get in it again."



I talk about the return of Williams regularly on this blog, but making the UK final and beating O'Sullivan in a short format final all inside two months, proves he is back to somewhere near his best, and surely shouldn't be discounted at the Masters as a potential champion. 

Beaten semi-finalists Ali Carter, Shaun Murphy as well as O'Sullivan and John Higgins all progress to Group Three, where the new entries will be Mark Allen, Peter Ebdon and Marco Fu.

Action returns in the Championship League on 24 January.

No comments:

Post a Comment