Sunday 22 May 2011

Snooker goes down under

Snooker continued to move global today, with the announcement of a brand new ranking event in Australia.

The first of three definite Australian Goldfields Open events will be held this season between 18 and 24 July at the Bendigo Stadium in Victoria.

With a deal signed until 2013, the tournament will be our calendar for at least three seasons.

2010 world champion Neil Robertson was among the many delighted Aussies.

He said: “This is a long-standing dream come true for me, as I am sure it is for many snooker players and fans in Australia.

“To have a world ranking event in my home state will be just unbelievable and I hope to get a lot of support. I know some of the other players are excited about coming to Australia and I’m looking forward to showing them around.


“It’s fantastic to see snooker becoming much more of a global game, it looks like we’ll be clocking up a lot of air miles in the next few years.

“This is a really special day not just for me but for all Aussie snooker fans.”

I've got to admit, I'm pretty pleased about the news as well.
Events like this excite me. It's new and it's a message about where our game is going. More of the same please Barry...

No comments:

Post a Comment