Sunday 4 July 2010

Ask Gary...

In a bid for you to find out a little bit more about the editor of OnCue, I asked my friends to put some snooker questions forward for me to answer...

Who is your favourite player and why?

I've always been a massive fan of Ronnie O'Sullivan. One of my first big memories of the game was watching him smash a 147 past Mick Price in a record 5 minutes 20 seconds in 1997. This was the first World Championship I watched fully, when I was aged just nine. So ever since then, I've loved watching him. He plays the game in the most entertaining way and is one of the sport's biggest characters. He's a hero of mine and watching him live beat Stephen Hendry 17-4 in the 2004 semi-final, was really special.

What other players do you like?

There's very few players I dislike in the game. In fact, every player I've ever met has been great. They're always happy to sign autographs, have photographs taken, and stop for a chat. This is something I like about the game, because you just can't get this kind of rapport with the players in any other games, like football for example. I've had a number of chats with Steve Davis at the bar in the Novotel hotel in Sheffield. He's such a gent, and has a trophy cabinet to match, so I always like to see him roll back the years.

Then, there's Stephen Lee. I've always been really impressed with this guy's terrific cue action. He's a shadow of the player he was in the early 00's but I always look out for his results.

What do you make of the allegations against John Higgins?

I'll reserve my judgements until the full investigation has taken place, but it doesn't look good. Deep, deep down I hope it's not true. It would be a hammer blow for the sport as he's our current world number one. I would never have thought it of him but if he is found guilty, I hope the book is thrown at Higgins. We need to send out a warning to all players that will deter them ever taking a bung. Unfortunately, the nature of the game makes it easy for match fixing to take place. But in order to maintain the integrity of the game, the deterrent must be the potential punishment, so this must be severe.

What do you think of Barry Hearn taking over the game?

I'm delighted. He's worked wonders for darts and anyone that is committed to get the players involved in more competitions, gets my backing. I think he'll take the game to a new level with the shoot-out style matches to come and take it global, which can only be good for the players and fans alike.

Who is the greatest player ever to pick up a cue?

My heart says Ronnie. While he has the natural ability, until he delivers seven world titles, I don't think you can look past Stephen Hendry. People may say he played in a 'weaker era' of the game. But try telling Jimmy White that. I think it's rubbish. He won what he has because of shear grit and determination. The number of maximum breaks he's hit, speak for themselves too.

Who will win the next world title?

It's quite early to make that kind of prediction. Last year, I had my money on Ding Junhui and I'll back him again. I think it'd be great for the game to see the title taken to Asia, and he certainly has the quality. We've seen that first hand at the UK Championship. I think it's only a matter of time until he replicates this in Sheffield. He was unlucky to lose to Shaun Murphy last year but maybe next time.

Who's the next big talent?

Tough, tough question. People have been talking about Judd Trump for a number of years, and I've heard a lot of people now doubting whether he'll make it to the big time. I watched him lose his first round match to Peter Ebdon at the UK Championships last year, and in that game he showed glimpses of real quality. He was unlucky to lose, but if he can turn that fortune around and make it past the first hurdle at one of the big calendar dates this season, I think we'll see the best of him. So, I'm sticking by Judd to be a world champion within the next decade. I also like the look of Liam Highfield too. I've heard a lot of good about him.

What do you think about Barry Hearn's proposals to bring in one-frame matches?

Fantastic. Just look at Twenty20 in cricket. People who were never interested in the sport now go to watch live. It could happen in snooker too. Anything that could attract younger fans, has to be worth a try.

2 comments:

  1. How much damage will be done to the sport if the John Higgins allegations are proved true?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andy,

    Thanks for the question.

    I'd be lying if I sat here and said the damage to the sport would only be minimal.

    John Higgins is snooker's world number one. Very much like Tiger Woods, he was previously viewed as the model professional.

    So, in this sense, if John is proved guilty, the sport will suffer.

    Neil Robertson will be made the new number one ranked player. For him, this will be a hollow achievement.

    But even bigger than this, the saga will put the sport in disrepute. It will see people on the outside of the game question all results that have been before it.

    This said, no player is bigger than the game. A cloud will be left but the sport will recover. There's too many great players on the baize today.

    Such is the pool of talent playing the game today, he and his attitude wouldn't be missed.

    If he is proved guilty, I hope the book is thrown at him. And, in my eyes, I think the game would be better without such a player. If there's something I can't stand, it's cheats.

    ReplyDelete