Thursday 15 July 2010

Mark Selby EXCLUSIVE interview

Fresh from his victory at the PTC2, Mark Selby took time out of his busy schedule to chat with OnCue.

Here's what the Jester from Leicester had to say for himself...

The snooker calendar is a lot busier this year. How do you feel about this and what are your personal aims for the season?

I think it's fantastic! Last year I played in 7 events! This year 20+ and the promise of more. I'm excited by this season's calendar and now feel like I have a full-time job!! :-) My personal aim is to continue winning events and break back into the top 4 rankings.

You've been nicknamed the Jester from Leicester. How do you feel about this and does it reflect the real Mark Selby?

Yes it does, I'm pretty relaxed off the table and try to enjoy my career and life.

Whenever I've seen you at tournaments or playing matches, you've always got a lot of friends supporting you. Is this something that helps you?

Yes it's great when we have local tournaments when it is possible for my friends and family to come and support me. It's always encouraging

However, you also have to get used to it when there's nobody there if we're playing abroad. Luckily I seem to have quite a lot of 'neutral' support which I'm really grateful for.

Your comeback in Masters final was sensational. Is this the best you've ever played? If not, when was?

I would say I played better to win the 2008 final against Stephen Lee.


You made it to the last four at the Crucible this year. After beating Ronnie, did it feel like an opportunity missed? And how far do you think you are away from a world title?

Every year is an opportunity for me to become world champion. Last year I lost to John Higgins 13-12 in a great match and this year I lost to an inspired Graham Dott who played fantastic.

I can only keeping working hard and I'm confident I will pick up the title one year!

Let's talk about Ronnie. You've got the beating of him at the moment. What's it like to play O'Sullivan?

It's always great to play Ronnie, you're gauranteed a full house! He's one of snooker's greats and it's always challenging to play him.

Who's the toughest player to play against on the circuit and why?

Probably Ronnie, because he is unpredictable and if he clicks then you struggle to keep up with him, he can reel off frames in minutes!!


Who's they nicest player on the circuit and why?

I'm fortunate that I have good relationships with all the players on the circuit, so it's impossible to single out a particular player.

Who was your favourite player as a kid?

Jimmy White

Who's the greatest player ever to pick up a cue and why?

Stephan Hendry. His titles and records speak for themselves!

What's the proudest moment of your career so far and why?

Winning both Masters titles. It's the most prestigious event with only snooker's elite players invited and to be on the roll of honour is a privilage and honour.

What's the funniest thing that's happened in your professional career?

In Beijing for the China Open when I was 18, my next match was at 14:00 the next day. I woke up got showered andd changed into my snooker attire and went to the hotel reception to wait for a courtesy car to take me to the venue for my match.

Standing in a deserted reception area and after looking outside, I realised that it was actually 01:00am in the morning. Duh!!! I hurriedly sneaked back up to my room before anyone saw me.

Tell us something about Mark Selby we may not already know?

I enjoy singing and I'm a regular karaoke addict, you can't get the microphone off me.

No comments:

Post a Comment