Thursday 30 September 2010

Paul Collier EXCLUSIVE column - THE LAUNCH

Hi everyone.

I'm Paul Collier. For those of you who don't know me, I'm a part-time referee for World Snooker, and I also officiate all of the Premier League games.

Welcome to the first of a series of montly columns I'll be penning for OnCue.

Here, you can read how I've been keeping busy on the baize, and all my views on what's hot in the world game...

This week has been one of the quietest so far this month after the last few weeks were dominated by competitions.

One of the biggest talking points in the game at the moment is the changes to the ranking system. Now that they're being adjusted at more regular intervals of the season, and there are more ranking points up for grabs with the creation of the PTC and EPTC tournaments, some of the top 16 players are in big danger of sliding down.

It may not be good news for some of the more established players but, if you're winning matches, you don't have to worry.

For the younger players, it's great news though.

They've been handed a great opportunity to rise up the rankings quickly. And the PTC events also mean the young guns can experience what it's like to play the sport's biggest games much earlier in their careers.

It's the perfect apprenticeship and I expect to see more young players coming through in the next few years.

The players at the top of the rankings at the minute are the winners of the last two ranking events, Neil Robertson and Ali Carter.

I thought Neil was terrific in Glasgow. He carried staright on from the form he showed at the Crucible. He definitely deserves his place.

The whole World Open competition was entertaining. The Premier League is successful because of the shot clock, but the best of five frame matches really proved great for the neutral.

We're in an age where people want value for money and, with shorter matches, they get closer matches, and the chance to see more players.

There's extra pressure for the players to deal with but it's great expereince for more lower ranked players to earn a televised appearance too. It gives them a chance to get used to the conditions because some players are fazed by it.

One of my closest friends is Darren Morgan. He won't thank me for saying this, but he was a different player when the TV cameras started rolling. He found it very difficult, so hopefully these competitions will help the players who soemtimes suffer.

Ali won the tournament in Shanghai. I thought he played very well. He's one of those players who you're never surprised at if he wins a ranking event, but he's never labelled as one of the front runners either.

He's found a real consistency over the last couple of seasons. Being second in the rankings, shows how important that is.

Another player who's been in great form so far this season is Mark Williams.  

Mark and I have been friends for years because in the early 90's I was manager of the Emporium Snooker Club in Bargoed, where Mark played from when he first picked up a cue right up until last year when he bought his own club.

We often have a pint after a match and I'm really pleased to see him producing his best snooker again.

He'll be the first to admit he took his eye off the ball in the last couple of seasons, but he's settled down again and is putting a lot of practice in. It just shows, if you put in the effort, you get the rewards.

In his match against Mark Selby, he was 2-0 down and went on to win 4-2. When he levelled at 2-2, he turned round and said to me "I bet you didn't see that coming". It was a classic Mark moment. It's great to see him back.

No snooker column would be quite right without Ronnie either, after the month he's had. First, he pulled out of Shanghai, then he made a 147 in Glasgow before reaching the final.

I know Ronnie really well and he does make me laugh. They say there's no such thing as bad publicity, and I believe him when he says he got a bigger buzz out of leaving the final black on the spot. You could see the smile on his face. He's got a bit of criticism, but I think he's good for the game.

Even though September has been a busy month, we shouldn't forget about John Higgins and the conclusion of his tribunal.

I think it's time people stop questioning the verdict. All the evidence was presneted and he was cleared, so he's innocent.

He may have been a silly or even a lucky boy but I'm sure he's learned a lesson. Knowing John, his return to the table will be worrying him. It's difficult to know what kind of reception he'll get and the effect it will have on him.

It's important he does his talking with his cue.

He's in his 30s now, the twilight of his career, but he's got a lot of character. His record over the longer distance is great. I wouldn't be surprised if he's got another world title in him over the next four or five years.

Thanks for reading. I'll be back with more next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment