Wednesday 13 October 2010

60 seconds with...Jamie Jones

The new season has brought it's fair share of shock finalists.

Jamie Burnett progressed to the showpiece in Shanghai, while the new PTC events have given the lower ranked players a chance to experience the the buzz of playing in the shoot-out match for a trophy. Matt Couch,  Barry Pinches and Jack Lisowski have been among the players to cash in.

Welshman Jamie Jones progressed to the final in the most recent tournament, before finally being beaten by Ding Junhui at the PTC5.

He spoke exclusively to OnCue this week, where he revealed his aims to be a top 16 player within the next five years...

Well done in Sheffield last week reaching the PTC5 final. Explain how you were feeling?

I started off my first round match feeling really good and I ended up playing that way too.

That carried on throughout the tournament so I wasn't really surprised when I kept winning my matches because when I play with confidence, I feel unbeatable.

After the competition, it sunk in that I made it to the final of an event with practically all the best players in the world bar Ronnie and Higgins, so I felt quite proud of myself.

It hasn't made me reassess my aims in the game. I've been scoring like I did in the PTC5 ever since I was a 16-years-old, so I knew that I was capable of it.

It's given me a lot of confidence in myself though to realise that I can go on to be a top player. It's just down to my dedication on and off the table.

Is it your proudest snooker moment?

Yes probably. I'm really proud of how I'm playing right now. I'm pleased with the way I'm performing, happy with my results and think I'm preparing myself well. 

What about your lowest?

I'd say about three years ago. I'd  fallen out of love with snooker. I wasn't enjoying practicing or playing in competitions. I went through a bad time off the table and I'm just very glad I came through that time. 

What professional snooker player do you most admire and why?


It has to be Stephen Hendry. Throughout my junior career I would watch Hendry's maestro video nearly every single night. I loved the fact that he was a true champion and very much wanted to be just like him.

Where do you see yourself in five year's time? 

I'm very ambitious. I'd like to think I would be a top 16 player at least. I would like to have won one ranking competition, if not a few more.

When did you start playing snooker and how?

I started playing at my uncle Michael's house when I was younger on a smaller table, and I loved it. I used to carry a chair round the table with me because I couldn't reach!

If you weren't a snooker player, what would you be and why? 

If I wasn't a snooker player, I think I'd be in the army if I'm honest. I've never really liked like paper work so it would have to be something physical. I know the army is a very dangerous job but I think the lads that have gone to war are the bravest people around.

No comments:

Post a Comment