Monday 4 October 2010

Stuart Bingham EXCLUSIVE interview - part one

Stuart Bingham has been one of the most consistent players on tour so far this season.

He's one of a clutch of players who have a real chance of cashing in on the new look calendar, and breaking into the top 16.

OnCue paid the Basildon man a visit at his local snooker club to find out more.

In this, the first of a two-part exclusive interview, Stuart speaks about his performance in Shanghai, his aspirations for the season, the changes Barry Hearn has made to the game, plus much more.


Let’s start with Shanghai. You beat Mark Allen in the first round and narrowly lost to the eventual winner Ali Carter in the last 16. How do you assess your performance in China?
Mark Allen gave me a good hiding in the UK championship in 2008. He beat me 9-2. I had a bad day, he had a good day, so to beat him here was a great result.
He’s a very aggressive player. He believes in his own ability. Anyone who can beat Ronnie at Sheffield is a good player in my book.
Even though he hasn’t started well this season, I was happy with the win.
Then I played Ali. We’ve always had a bit of a rivalry being only 20 minutes away from each other in the car. He’s really kicked on over the last couple of years, getting to a world final and making tournament maximums. He won a few competitions now. It was a tough match and he narrowly beat me, but I couldn't grumble about my performance.
What’s it like playing someone you know so well, whether it be a friend of practice partner? Does it feel any different?
When you get down to the crunch, everyone has their own goals. I’m big friends with a lot of players. We can have a laugh, play cards and hang out during tournaments, but as soon as I get on the table, I want to rip their head off. I want to beat them and sometimes when you’re sitting in your chair, you’re thinking, I know this fella has got kids, and I could be stopping him buying nappies. But you can’t think like that. You’ve got to be ruthless and I’ve got to try and beat him as much as he’s trying to beat me.
You weren’t at the World Open, but what did you make of it?
In best of fives, you can’t really let your arm go. It’s a totally different mindset. You don’t have to do a lot wrong and you can be going home. It’s literally a toss of a coin but it’s very exciting though. It was tough sitting watching it at home.  You miss that buzz. Everyone is talking about it in the club and you miss the atmosphere. It’s one table, and just looked really good. I’m a die-hard snooker fan myself, so I watched it.
What have you made of the changes to the game under Barry Hearn?
Barry has jazzed it up. People are talking about snooker again. I backed Barry. He’s a good man for the job. All the tournaments were getting the same, but he’s making it more interesting. It’s good for the kids coming on as well. They’re lucky to come into the game as it’s thriving. I love snooker and this is what I’ve wanted for years.
What are your season targets?
I want to climb as high as I can in the rankings and qualify for the UK and World. I want to get in the top 16. With the new ranking system, it gives everyone a chance. I’m trying to push up and there’s more motivation to practice.
You’re on the cusp of the top 16 now. Do you see yourself as good enough?
I’ve had a couple of years where I’ve had good chances. But you need two good years. I’ve tended to have a good year, followed by a bad year. But I look at some of the players in there and I think, you’re no better than me. Even the likes of Ali. He’s world number two but I look at him and think I’m as good as him. But he’s proved it where it matters. That’s the difference. At the moment, I’m knocking on the door thinking can I do it whereas he’s knocked on the door, and walked through. I haven’t been past a quarter-final of a major tournament yet. To do that, would be breaking barriers.
Does Ali’s emergence inspire you then?
Yeah definitely. It gives you a bit of self belief. He’s got a good snooker brain. He wins a lot of frames when the balls are scrappy. Everyone has got a different game. I’m more getting into the safety now. I’ve always been a break builder. Everyone knows that. I won the high break in Shanghai. I’ve always been a good scorer. When I first turned pro, if I didn’t make 70, I’d lose the frame. It was so true about my game. All I wanted to do was pot balls. My safety game was non-existent. But then as you get more experienced, you tighten up and you learn different aspects of the game.
Do you turn down shots you wouldn’t have in the past?
No, I’m still very attacking. I like to get in the pack as early as I can to open the reds up but I don’t force the issue now. Before, I’d be looking at three-ball plants and stupid shots like that. My mum and dad have got videos of me playing a decade ago and I look and think on certain shots ‘what are you doing?’. I’m just tighter now. If I get a chance, I’ve got to look to win the frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment