Thursday 21 April 2011

World Championship predictions: Moss v Pegram (part 2)

Last week, OnCue launched a prediction head-to-head between editor Gary Moss (GM) and former professional player Jason Pegram (JP) to guess every score at the Crucible.


There's been little to choose between them so far, with the current score sitting at 15-13 in favour of Moss

Correct score predictions of 10-9 in the Stephen Hendry against Joe Perry match and 10-8 to Stuart Bingham versus Peter Ebdon, have given Moss the slight edge so far.

But Pegram hit the nail on the head saying Mark Allen would beat Matthew Stevens in a decider. It's all still to play for.

With second round matches beginning today, here's the first half of the last 16 draw. What will the lads go for this time?

Here's a reminder of how it's scored:

1 point for a correct winner
2 points for a correct winner and within frame of the scoreline
3 points for a correct winner and the perfect scoreline

Let the battle continue...



Mark Williams v Jamie Cope

JP: I think Williams will absolutely batter Cope. I thought Cope was awful in his first round match against Andrew Pagett, especially his temperament. His cue action looks far too loose and needs adjusting. He reminds me of how Selby was before he changed his cue action and massively improved. Williams is buzzing and if Cope tries to out-pot him, he'll wipe the floor.Williams 13-5


GM: Have to agree with Jay. Williams is the only winner in this match. He's got a real shout of the title, and I can't expect much trouble for him in this one. He's better in every department. Williams 13-6

Judd Trump v Martin Gould

JP: This is going to be a 100 per cent pot fest.  Judd has got great confidence and is improving with every match. He looked good against Robertson and I expect him to progress again. Trump 13-8


GM: This could be the match of the tournament. Hold on to your hats. These boys know how to attack. Don't expect much safety, and I've got a feeling for Gould again. Gould 13-11

Ding Junhui v Stuart Bingham

JP: I'm gutted that I predicted my mate Stuart to lose in the first round, so I'm going to do the same in hope it brings him good luck again. I tipped Ding to win the title at the start, so I can't go against that. I think Stuart will take a couple of frames in each session, but based on their first round matches, I'm backing Ding. Ding 13-8


GM: Ding looked superb in the first round and looks a good bet for a run in Sheffield now. He's got a great game and I'm not sure Bingham can match him over three sessions. It's a long time to keep up with such a great player. Ding 13-9

Shaun Murphy v Ronnie O'Sullivan 

JP: This is the game of the round. If Ronnie can carry on how he played in the first round, I don't think anyone can stop him and I'll be glued to my television. Apart from maybe watching Steve Davis at his peak in the 1980s, I think he's the ultimate player. There's nothing better than watching him enjoying playing snooker. I enjoy it as much as watching Spurs win the FA Cup and the sporting greats like John McEnroe and Ali. The key is whether Ronnie can stay switched when Murphy knocks a century from his mistakes. O'Sullivan has got a good record against him. I think he'll do it. O'Sullivan 13-10

GM: There are so many variables in this game. It's difficult to predict. I think O'Sullivan will begin well but lose his way when the going gets tough. Murphy won't roll over and will fight. If he hangs in there, I think he'll get his rewards. Murphy 13-11

No comments:

Post a Comment