Tuesday 26 April 2011

World Championship predictions: Moss v Pegram (part 4)

We're down to the quarter-final phase of the competition now.

OnCue continues its prediction head-to-head between editor Gary Moss (GM) and former professional player Jason Pegram (JP) to guess every score at the Crucible.

With just seven matches remaining, there's no room for errors.


So far, Pegram leads 28-24.

The correct score prediction for Ronnie O'Sullivan's 13-10 win against Shaun Murphy helped Pegram's cause last night, but it's not over yet.

Here's a reminder of how it's scored:

1 point for a correct winner

2 points for a correct winner and within frame of the scoreline

3 points for a correct winner and the perfect scoreline

Here's what the lads think for the last eight matches...



Judd Trump v Graeme Dott

JP: I'd normally go for Dott all day. His all-round match players is a lot stronger, while Judd is still learning some aspects of the game. He's a raw player but I think he won't give Dott the respect Ali Carter did in the last round. Judd has the quality to win frames quickly. This could be the difference. Trump 13-8

GM: Trump is playing with plenty of confidence this week, and he looks like he'll take some stopping. I think Dott is capable of doing this though. The Scot won't let him get away from him and in the final frames I fancy his experience to shine. 13-11 Dott

Mark Selby v Ding Junhui

JP: The way Selby played against Stephen Hednry, he looks like he could become world champion. His level of concentration, composure and match hardness is excellent. I think he's capable of competing with the likes of John Higgins and Ronnie O'Sullivan ve when they're near their best now. I was gutted for my mate Stuart Bingham and the way he lost to Ding Junhui. It was a great comeback, where in the past I've seen Ding crumble. I think that game might take a little bit too much out of him. Selby 13-7

GM: I cannot say how well Selby played in the second round. He proved he could be the complete package. He looks in the mood. I expect him to make the final now. Selby 13-9

Mark Williams v Mark Allen

JP: This match will be all about potting. I think Williams will out smart, out pot and out class Allen. I think he's better in every department. Allen can only win this one if Williams doesn't perform. Williams 13-8

GM: Williams is favourite in this match and I have to agree. I've been very impressed with his opening two performances and can only see him building on that. It's like watching Williams a decade ago when he was at his best. His break-building always looks so easy. Williams 13-9

John Higgins v Ronnie O'Sullivan

JP: This is worthy of being a final. I can't think of two better players when they're both on form. Higgins is like the modern day Hendry. O'Sullivan is like the modern day Jimmy White. I've seen Ronnie play the game to a level I've never seen before. Higgins will try to dig into him. I think we're in a for a nail biting finish but on the form at this event alone, I'm backing Ronnie. O'Sullivan 13-11

GM: It's great to see Ronnie back in the zone. On form this week, you'd probably say Ronnie is shading it. But Higgins has got more big match experience than Ronnie over the course of this season. I think this will tell when we get into the third session. Higgins 13-10

No comments:

Post a Comment