Following revisions to the world rankings after the conclusion of the Welsh Open yesterday, the top players were placed in the draw sheet.
I've never been one to dwell too much on the prospect of half empty draws.
The qualifiers are yet to be confirmed and form of players can soon come or go, but here are a few of my initial reactions to the draw you can view through this link
- Ronnie O'Sullivan could face the prospect of Shaun Murphy in the last 16. The Magician is a master of the longer format. O'Sullivan could not have asked for a harder draw with John Higgins then to follow in the last eight. But the way the Rocket is playing, there's no guarantee he'll even make it past the first hurdle.
- I rate the chances of defending champion making it back to the final. His half of the draw sees him avoid Mark Williams and John Higgins, who at the moment would be my two favourites for the title.
- Stephen Hendry could well be fighting for his top 16 place at the Crucible this year. A second round match with Mark Selby doesn't make for pleasant reading.
- Hold onto your hats for round two. The prospect of Stephen Maguire against Mark Allen and Jamie Cope versus Mark Williams will be all about attack.
- Higgins against Williams in the semi-final COULD be game of the season.