Monday 7 February 2011

Martin Gould - EXCLUSIVE interview

Here at OnCue, I like to give you more than just reaction to the great game of snooker.
 
Getting player interviews can be a tough task at the best of times. But on top of a full-time job, it makes it even more challenging.

Nonetheless, I'm as committed as ever to bring my readers only the best.

To kick off 2011, I spoke to one of the sport's most improved players.

Martin Gould has been one individual to really profit from Barry Hearn's PTC series. So much so, he's now on the cusp of a place in the world's top 16.

Find out more about Gouldy here... 

Unfortunately, you didn't qualify for the German Masters, but you did go out there for an exhibition exhibition and I'm sure you've been watching the tournament. What's it like out there?

The German fans are great. I went out there with Ricky Walden, and had a great time. I also knocked in a 147 while I was there, which is always special. The balls were there in front of me, and you always want to do it. The German fans are so passionate, so it felt good.

Despite missing out, there's plenty of tournaments coming up. What kind of practice player are you and how's it going right now?

Once I start playing, I can go for eight to nine hours. I'm the kind of player, who can go to the club on my todd and enjoy it. It's not a problem. I just love it. I've come through some quite bad flu, which meant I wasn't at my best during qualifying but I feel ready for the season run-in now. I want to get back up and running at the Welsh Open.


I know a lot of young players read this blog. To help them develop, what kind of practice routines do you do and what works best?

Del Hill has given me a few tips and I like to mix it up. The Christmas tree  is a good one, but mainly I practice around the pink and black spot. That's quite traditional because it's an area of the table you really don't want to be missing in. It's good just to mix and match the exercises though.

I play the odd frame against myself as well. I'm quite disciplined to play how I would play in a match. I'm quite an attacking player anyway so I go for my shots in practice as I would in a match, but my safety has got much better. That probably comes from playing against other pros. I sometimes have a knock about with Anthony Hamilton.

Talking of your development, you played my mate and former pro Jason Pegram many years back he said. He asked me to ask you me what is was like watching his quality cue ball control?

When I first started playing Pegram, I was just a potter. He used to give me a few hidings, but my game has developed since then. If I remember, his cue ball control wasn't anything to right home about anyway (says laughing!)


While we're on the topic of defeats, A lot has been said about your loss against Neil Robertson in last year's World Championship. Are you sick of talking about it?

To me, it's been and gone. It doesn't upset me. I see it as a good thing now. It was a good learning curve. It was something I'd never experienced before. In hindsight, maybe I should have kept it tighter, but I'm positive about it. If I can do that against Robertson like I did in the first two sessions, then just think what I can achieve.

I'll never forget that Friday night though. I was 11-5 up and my odds to win the world title had been slashed from 150-1 to 16-1. I was dumbfounded. If I'd carried on straight after the end of the second sessions, I would have won 13-5 I reckon. I was playing that well.But the worst thing about snooker are the breaks. I'd pulled out some ridiculous shots to take control of the game and then I couldn't finish the job. I know I can play that well though. That's what I need to focus on.

Despite that disappointment, that event has been the start of a really good spell for hasn't it?

Yeah, from April onwards it's been great. I was on the verge of dropping out the world 48 before the World Championship qualifiers. I was struggling a bit with my game, and I went to see a guy about yoga and meditation. Nothing was working, so I thought I'd try that.

I managed to scrape over the line 10-8 in the first qualifying match against Bjorn Haneveer. Next, I played Nigel Bond and I just jumped out of bed that morning and went on to play really well. I haven't looked back since. I feel more relaxed and chilled out. I felt like I'd got a buzz back and I've gone from there. I wouldn't say the meditation was the reason but it was a help.

You've been on a high since but one of the best must have been the World Open where you made it to the quarter-finals?

Yeah I didn't lose a frame until I played Peter Ebdon. I was playing well in Shanghai as well. Up until the German Masters qualifiers, it was going so well. I'm a confident person. I believe I'm going to win now.

How did you feel about your first round exit at the UK, because big things were expected of you there?

I didn't think I had the run of the balls at all against Graeme Dott. I was fuming.



The hype around you for that tournament must be nice, as it shows you have plenty of supporters?

I don't consider myself popular, but it's nice that some people class in me in a bracket where they think I can win tournaments. If people are expecting me to beat the world number eight, then I must be doing something right.

It was after the World Championships I noticed it though. I suddenly got like 1,000 friend requests on facebook. I was getting all sorts of female attention which I wasn't used to. I've never classed myself as a babe magnet. I just get on with my own thing but then all of a sudden, I was getting lots of attention. I found it a bit too much. People tend to like my style of play, and prefer to watch that kind of snooker. That's the good thing.

A big part of your season has been the PTC series. How have you enjoyed them?

I think they've been a good addition. I played in all 12 and never lost in the first round. I've had a couple of dodgy results but you're always going to get that. I got to a final as well against Dominic Dale. I thought it was an absolute joke that I lost. Dominic didn't miss much but in the decider I had some terrible luck with the balls rolling off the cushion. I couldn't get out of the arena quick enough after that.

That hurt me more than the defeat to Robertson. I've always been good at bouncing back though. I've taken some blows, but I have resolve to come back stronger.

This was a big part of Barry Hearn's changes, but how do you view his transition of the game in general?

I think Barry has been a positive change for snooker but not in every way. It's good to be playing more events and I snooker is actually a full-time job now.

But I think if you earn a place in the top 16, you should have that ranking for a year. The new ranking system doesn't allow that. You can be in there for just one tournament. It's not fair that one bad tournament can take you out of it. It's easier to move up, but the top 16 has protected a lot of players for a long time, and now I don't think I'll get that. The impact Barry has had on the calendar though is brilliant.

Barry is trying to drive up popularity of the game. What influence do you think the players can have on how attractive snooker is?

Individually, I think very little. Ronnie obviously brings in the crowds. But I think the style I and some other players have helps. This will bring in youngsters. There are a lot more youngsters getting involved and that's great obviously. Tough question though.


Have you set yourself any targets for 2011?

Not anything specific. I've never set targets, but like every player, you want to maintain your ranking or improve. Not go down. If I can hit the ground running and get to the Worlds, I could break the top 16 though. I think I'm good enough.

Most top 16 players don't like playing me and I've seen polls where I was voted the most improved player of 2010. I would have been happy to just to get into the top 32 but now I'm closer to the 16. I've given myself a good platform. The rest of the season is about trying to make that step.

What keeps you motivated?

The thrill for the big occasion. Millions of people watching. That's the biggest thing that drives me on.

What piece of advice would you give to an up and coming player? 

Be dedicated and keep practicing. You must never give up. You'll get out of the game exactly what you put in.


I've always wanted to ask you, how do you manage to play the game with regular glasses on? 

I'm not trying to give a funny answer but I just get down and play. I watched Liu Song playing with usual glasses and he was playing swerve shots and all sorts.  I just thought, if he can do it, I'll find a pair and stick with them, but everyone does things differently.

And now for a bit of fun...

What would you be doing if you weren't a snooker player?

I like my computers, so maybe a game tester. I'm also pretty good at darts. There's normally a dartboard up in the players' lounge. I was number one, but Mark Selby and Jan Verhaas are pretty good as well.

Pizza Hut or Domino's?


Pizza Hut without a doubt. I can't stand Domino's. 


If you could be any biscuit, what would you be?

A fruit short cake - because I am a bit of a fruit cake and I like to eat them. Or I might go for a ginger nut, but I'm not ginger.

What couldn't you live without?

Pepsi Max. My fridge is full of it. My dad always brings me some when he comes down. I go through case upon case of the stuff. If you opened my fridge now, you'd find 48 cans and a few chocolate bars. I also like Dr Pepper and Red Bull.

1 comment:

  1. If you could be any biscuit, what would you be?
    That's a pretty lame question, but still a pretty cool interview.

    ReplyDelete