Thursday 5 January 2012

Fan profile: Dirk Thomas

With the PTC series heading to Germany for the final stop of the season, OnCue also heads into Europe for the next fan profile.

Find out more about Dirk Thomas, who shares his hope that one day there will be European players among the top ten in the world.

 Name: Dirk Thomas

Age: 43

From: Sinn, Germany

Occupation: A youth worker in the Evangelical Church. We host snooker and pool events once a week.

Highest break: 37

Followed snooker since: 1989. When I first got cable TV.

First memories: Wondering about the silly looking glasses Dennis Taylor wore.

First favourite player:  Stephen Hendry. He was such an exciting player to watch at his peak. A few years after I started following the game he became the golden boy of snooker.

First live match: At the German Masters in Berlin in 2011. It was great to watch five matches at the same time. I can't wait to do it all again in February.

Best memory: Mark Selby's sly look in his eyes in the German Masters final as he took the miss-option and so Jan Verhaas had to re-spot all the balls after Mark Williams had spread them everywhere with a hit-and-hope shot. While Jan was struggling to get all the balls back it position, it was great fun and comedy for the fans.

Greatest player: Ronnie O'Sullivan is the greatest player of all time. Stephen Hendry is the greatest winner of all time - but I think no-one gave more to snooker than good old Steve Davis!

Favourite player: Ronnie. I hope he plays on for a few years yet. I also like watching Judd Trump and Mark Williams.

Snooker in 10 years' time will... have players from the continent within the top ten of the world rankings. There's a real euphoria for snooker in Germany and I hope it will result in bringing new talent to the worldwide baize.

If I could make one change to the game... I would make the pockets bigger when I play. Only joking. I like it just how it is.

I love snooker because... it's fantastic to watch the professionals competing with such skill, concentration, tactics and mental strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment