Wednesday 25 January 2012

Fan profile: Micky Horton

It's that time again when OnCue gets the baize lowdown from one of its readers.

This time out, Micky Horton answers the questions and tells us about his magic moment meeting Canada's Cliff Thorburn.

Name: Micky Horton

Age: 32

From: Lucan, Dublin but live in Scotland

Occupation: Salmon farmer

Highest break: 104

Followed snooker since: I started out playing pool in our local social club. There was a full-size snooker table which I used to sneak a go at when the barman wasn’t looking. I potted a long red in the top corner and that was me hooked. 

First memories: I started watching snooker when I was 13-years-old and I remember Jimmy White making a 147 against Tony Drago at the 1992 World Championship. My birthday was five days after the final and I asked for a snooker table as my present. Regretfully financial restraint and the fact we were living in a tiny council house put pay to that but I did get the Hamlyn Encyclopedia of Snooker which I studied relentlessly. My love for snooker was born. 

First live match: I was at the 1998 Irish Open when Alan McManus lost to Mark Williams. I was completely in awe by the way Williams dominated the match. The atmosphere was electric. I have since watched better matches but this one remains in a special place. 

Best memory: I met Cliff Thorburn when I was 14-years-old. I remember he was an absolute giant. He had  a drink of whisky and ginger with my dad and signed my notebook. He was a true gentleman. I've also watched the re-run of Alex Higgins' 69 clearance break against Jimmy White. The way he took that was simply the greatest thing I have seen in snooker. 

Greatest memory: Stephen Hendry. I used to always root for his opponents because I like the underdogs. But on the table, he was ruthless and never made mistakes. He was a born winner who had the full package in the game. If he had met the current top 16 in his prime I am confident he would still be number one in the world. I just wish he would have eased up on Jimmy in at least one of their World Championship final meetings. 

Favourite player: Tony Drago. I love watching his speed around the table. I've seen him at many tournaments and he is one of the nicest people in the game too. As a lad from Lucan, I would have to also mention Fergal O'Brien. He's a local lad to be proud of. 

Snooker in 10 years' time will... become a lot like the darts. There will be a lot more money being spent on merchandising and regretfully I feel they will try and put a soap opera feel to the game with emphasis on player personalities and rivalries. I hope I am wrong. 

If I could make one change to the game... I would allow a free ball after every foul. It would speed the game up but not to a detrimental level. It would also help bring more interesting turnarounds in matches. 

I love snooker because... it's a great ambassador for hard work and sportsmanship, it offers edge-of-your-seat excitement and it's not completely corrupted by money so you know the majority of players are giving it their all because they love what they are doing.

1 comment:

  1. A freeball after every foul... I had never thought of that before... what a nice alternative.

    ReplyDelete